Roblox Corp. (NASDAQ: RBLX) stock gained by 2.28% at last close while the RBLX stock price declines by 8.13% in the pre-market trading session. Roblox’s aim is to create a human co-experience platform that allows billions of people to share their experiences. Every day, tens of millions of individuals around the world have fun exploring millions of rich digital experiences with their friends.
Roblox Corp. released its May 2021 key metrics on June 10, 2021.
- Daily active users reached 43.0 million in May which is an increase of 28% from the previous month and down 1% from 43.3 million in April 2021.
- The number of hours spent engaged was 3.2 billion, up 9% year over year and 1% from 3.2 billion in April 2021.
- Bookings are expected to be in the range of $216 million to $219 million, up 24 percent to 26 percent year on year.
- The average bookings per DAU are expected to be between $5.02 and $5.09, a decrease of 2% to 3% year over year.
- Revenue is expected to be in the range of $149 million to $151 million, increasing 123% to 126% over the previous year
Recent Past Development
According to a story published by Variety on Thursday, the National Music Publishers’ Association has launched a case against Roblox, demanding at least $200 million in copyright infringement damages. The lawsuit was brought on behalf of multiple publisher plaintiffs, alleging that music artists’ material has been used often in the Roblox gaming environment, and that copyright holders have not been compensated appropriately.
The NMPA lawsuit raises the topic of what obligations RBLX has as a platform operator that hosts material from users. Roblox is a widely successful social gaming platform that allows users to create and submit their own content.
Unlicensed music material does not seem to have been posted to Roblox. However, according to the NMPA’s lawsuit, RBLX has made deliberate measures to avoid paying music composers and license holders and has reaped tangible profits from users uploading copyrighted compositions.