Mechel PAO (MTL) stock price remained unchanged in the after-market session on Friday, May 21, 2021, but MTL shares lost 4.95% in Friday’s normal trading session and closed at $2.11 per share. MTL shares have risen16.57% over the last 12 months, and they have moved up 3.43% in the past week. Over the past three months, the stock has gained 8.76%, while over the past six months, it has added 28.66%.
Let’s have a brief look at the recent developments of Mechel PAO.
Financial results announcement
On May 20, 2021, Mechel PAO released its financial results for Q1 2021.
Q1 2021 financial highlights
- Mechel PAO reported revenue of 76.04 billion rubles compared to 67.23 billion rubles in Q1 2020.
- In Q1 2021, operating profit was approx. 13 billion rubles compared to 7.93 billion rubles in Q1 2020.
- EBITDA amounted to 18.2 billion rubles in Q1 2021 compared to 13.16 billion rubles in Q1 2020.
- Profit attributable to equity shareholders of Mechel PAO was 7.9 billion rubles in Q1 2021, compared to the loss of 36.9 billion rubles in Q1 2020.
Q2 2021 operational results
Mechel PAO released its operational results for Q1 2021 on May 20, 2021.
- Mechelsuffered from the lack of cash flow sufficient for financing our operations as needed, due to a major slump in coal and steel prices because of the pandemic.
- Coking coal concentrate sales were decreased by 23% due to reduced mining of this type of coals caused by insufficient stripping volumes in 4Q2020 at our facilities in Yakutia and Kuzbass.
- Iron ore concentrate sales reduced by 36% due to the technical health of Korshunov Mining Plant’s mining and transport equipment.
- Sales of long rolls went down by 7% quarter-on-quarter basis. Sales of the universal rolling mill’s sections went down by 16% due to the seasonal slump in demand for beams.
- Sales of stainless long rolls picked up and demonstrated a 22% growth quarter-on-quarter basis.
- “Flat roll sales went down by 8% due to ongoing repairs at Chelyabinsk Metallurgical Plant.
- In Q1 2021, Hardware sales went down by 17% due to a traditional slump in demand for wire and other hardware.
New production area at Sibirginskayaunderground mine
On April 5, 2021, Mechel PAO announced that the Group’s Southern Kuzbass Coal Company launched the second section of the longwall 3-1-11’s working area at Sibirginskaya Underground Mine.
New Longwall at Southern Kuzbass launched
On March 15, 2021, Mechel PAO launched a new longwall at Southern Kuzbass Coal Company’s V.I. Lenina Underground Mine with a total investment of approximately 470 million rubles.
The company announced its operational and financial results late on May 20, which affected on May 21, Friday but both financial and operational results were satisfactory and should not be the reason behind its slump on Friday.
We have to wait and see how MTL stock starts the new week on Monday.